A room attendant (room maid) attends an occupied room after attending the vacant room and the departure room. It is at least attended twice in 24 hours. It is attended in the morning for the first time. During this time, complete cleaning and replenishment of the bedroom and bathroom supplies are done. For the second time, it is attended in the evening. It is also referred to as a second service or ” evening turndown service”. During this time the room is made ready for the guest to retire to bed. The step by step procedure for cleaning an occupied room is done in the following ways.
Steps to clean occupied room
1. Ensure that an occupied room does not have a “DO NOT DISTURB” card on the doorknob and is not double locked. If so, move to another room, which does not have “DO NOT DISTURB” card.
2. Always knock on the door with the knuckle of the index finger and announce “housekeeping”. If there is no response, open the door with the master key. If the guest is found sleeping, apologies and slowly move away.
3. Open the windows and curtains and switch off the air conditioner.
4. Remove soiled food trays and trolleys (if any). Empty ashtray and trash in the trash hamper.
5. Remove soiled linen from bed and bathroom by shaking each one of them individually to ensure that no guest valuables are trapped within the folds.
6. Check for any maintenance requirement and report the same to the housekeeping control desk.
7. Take fresh linen and make the bed by following the appropriate bed making procedure.
8. Arrange the guest belongings newspaper, magazines etc. in their proper place.
9. Clean the entire surface in a single circular motion with a duster. Use a dustpan to collect unwanted material /mater on the surface.
10. Replace stationery and guestroom supplies as prescribed by the management.
11. Dust closet, shelves, hangers and rods within the wardrobe. Replenish laundry bag and laundry list.
12. Clean and disinfect the bathroom. Replenish bathroom linens and supplies.
13. Then carry out vacuum cleaning and re-arrange the furniture.
14. Switch off the lights, switch on the air conditioning and adjust in the previous position.
15. Give the last look, then close the door and update the room report.